- Working padlock – Full design and construction of a working padlock with key using a variety of metals, welding, soldering, lathe work and etching. (Blog post)
- Design and problem solving – Forged elements of the padlock, with various design solutions.
- Puk welding – experiments with PUK welder, to repair an antique lead (Pb) elephant statuette.
- Repousse – Tests using repousse method on silver and copper sheet.
- Soldering, brazing and forging – hot joining methods using gas torch, and basic steel forging techniques.
- Pewter box – construction of a small pewter box, and development of pewter soldering instruction sheets for metals students.
- Familiar with precious and base metals and their alloys, their properties and practical joining methods including soft and silver soldering and PUK welding.
- Accustomed to practical work and a workshop environment.
- Experienced and confident with most workshop machinery and power tools.
- Understanding of a wide variety of materials and construction methods.